This page has moved to a new address.

Five for Friday - Feeling good on fat days

Peaches & Maple: Five for Friday - Feeling good on fat days

Thursday 16 May 2013

Five for Friday - Feeling good on fat days

I weighed myself this morning for the first time since I decided to take better care of myself in the beginning of the year. Turns out I have lost a good chunk of weight. Woot! However, I'm really not happy with how much extra padding I'm still lugging around, but I'm reminding myself that it took a while for it to get there, so I guess it's going to take a while to work it off. In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I can to feel good about myself. It's not always easy though. Occasionally I look around at slimmer women and I let it all get to me. It starts with a poisonous green snake of jealousy uncoiling in my mind and ends with me sinking deeper and deeper into a suffocating pit of self-loathing. I feel fat. I feel ugly. I feel old, worn out and worthless - I'm only 33 for frack's sake! 
True story.
But then I realise how utterly pointless and damaging that thinking is. What would I say if my daughters ever started talking like that? And I manage to snap out of it.
Here's five things that have really helped over the last four months:
1. Reminding myself that this is only temporary and that I am working towards a healthier body
2. Taking care of my hair and skin - I've always done this anyway, but there have been times when I've looked at myself in the mirror and thought "what's the point?" and been tempted to just let myself go completely. If you're in the same boat as me, trust me, maintaining a good cut and colour and healthy, glowing skin will make you feel better.
3. Playing with make-up - once again, something I've always done from the moment my mum bought me my first bottle of foundation (Covergirl Clean Makeup, I seem to recall). And again, something that has seemed pointless on occasion. But once I take the time to do it, I feel really good. It doesn't have to be the whole shebang either, just a bit of bronzer, mascara and lip gloss works wonders. 
4. Dressing well - I've never worn designer anything and I'm a very casual dresser in general, so I'm happy in a pair of well-fitting jeans and either short sleeved or long sleeved t-shirts and a pair of cute flats or wedges (which I need sometimes because I'm a short-arse!). I like to add a bit of interest to my outfits with a necklace or scarf, an armful of bangles or oversized earrings, a hat, beret or bandanna - but not all at once ;P
Once again, it has been all too tempting at times to just not bother looking for clothes that fit well and just buy something oversized to hide behind, but it feels so much better to know that you look good in what you're wearing - even if you're wearing an extra twenty kilos as well ;)
5. Embracing my body shape - even when I weighed 48 kilos soaking wet, I have always had a curvy body. And I don't mind saying that I love my curves. They have worked very well for me in my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. But I do look forward to being a smaller, curvy girl again ;)
How do you keep yourself feeling good, even if you're not attempting to lose weight?

Cas x


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home