This page has moved to a new address.

The one about the living room

Peaches & Maple: The one about the living room

Wednesday 20 February 2013

The one about the living room


Hiya! Come on in, sit on one of these squidgy white sofas and I'll tell you the story of how this room went from looking like this....
....to this.....
 It all started one evening in March 2011 about four months after we had moved in to this little place of ours, our very first home. Husband had arrived home from work, dinner was done and dusted and the small people were asleep in their beds, when we decided that it would be a good idea to crack up a few tiles, just for shits and giggles. 
No, not really for shits and giggles because nobody in their right mind starts knocking up tiles just for fun. It was actually because we had planned to get started on it on the following weekend and we were clueless as to how to tackle the job....so it was really more of reconnaissance mission. 
After an hour and a half of chipping away with a chisel and hammer and getting nowhere fast, we decided that that was the chump way of doing it, packed up our tools and proceeded to look for better options.
If ever find yourself needing to smash up two layers of tiles covering a large area, let me tell you, your better options are quite simply an electric chisel, a sledgehammer and a shovel or two.
It also helps to be a little pissed off. And trust me, once you've been showered with a million pieces of flying tile debris, you'll be plenty pissed off.
Once we were finished pulling up the tiles and removing them to the dump, we thought the hard part was over. DIY renovating just sounds so much easier when you watch a YouTube video or ask the guy at Bunnings, you know? When it came to scraping the tile glue up we were advised to get a scraping tool and do it manually. Tried it, decided it sucked, hired a grinder from Coates Hire  instead....which sucked marginally less.
Then came the tiling. Which I can only describe as repetitive and time consuming. We just did it until it was done. 

 And then, that really was the worst of it over with. We could start on the redecorating process, which as I said in my post about our lounge room  really is a process. I painted this room in Dulux Fair Bianca, with half strength on the trims about two years ago and we added a white blind and curtains to the window about six months after that. The furniture has been changed around a few times in here because I just couldn't get it how I wanted it and I finally just this past weekend got my long awaited second Ektorp sofa from Ikea to complete the room.
 So I think this is how it's going to stay for a goodly long while now ;)
With our cute little fireplace that I can't wait to snuggle in front of in a few months time...
and our DIY window-mirror
 and the beetle-brown piano that I have come to love just the way it is after years of longing to slop white paint all over it
 decorated with bits and pieces that I have collected from here and there and things I've made from this and that.
 And all the things I love whether they go together or not, that make this little brick and tile house of ours a home.

The end. 

Cas x







9 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 20, 2013 , Blogger Scandi Coast Home said...

It looks so much better Cas.
It's really beautiful......I love all the white and the textures.
Tania xx

 
At Wednesday, February 20, 2013 , Blogger beachcomber said...

you've added so much warmth and personality to the room.
a beautiful transformation!
x

 
At Wednesday, February 20, 2013 , Blogger Angels have Red Hair said...

It looks fantastic...you are so brave to do the tiling yourself...I'd love to give it a go in our bathroom....but I'm scared it will all go terribly wrong :P
Love the Ektorp sofa as well....'Ive got my eye on one of them...I love the way you can take off the slipcovers and wash them...not to mention buy new ones and completely change the look whenever you feel like it :)

 
At Wednesday, February 20, 2013 , Blogger Michelle Lisle said...

Hi Cas....So love your lounge room and I too am getting my much waited for ektorp sofas soon though Chris still thinks I'm crazy for wanting them in white especially with bec and a baby.....but white it shall be for me....xo

 
At Thursday, February 21, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

You guys have done such a fabulous job. I remember reading about the tiles when you did them, but when you look at the original photo, it's hard to believe it's the same room. Well done. Enjoy snuggling up on the new Ektorp. K xx

 
At Thursday, February 21, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Your living room is looking fabulous- it has a lovely feel to it!

 
At Thursday, February 21, 2013 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A room with heart and style ! Love it . I keep saying it but you're a clever gal ! X

 
At Saturday, February 23, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

I love it, Cas! Love the beetle brown piano with all of that white too. I'm glad you didn't paint it in the end:) x

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I love your style and your blog. Can't wait to read and see more from you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home