This page has moved to a new address.

The lounge room

Peaches & Maple: The lounge room

Tuesday 12 February 2013

The lounge room


 Hiya! Some of you may have already heard the tale of how our lounge room was transformed from an icky, poo brown, dust bucket to the light, fresh and airy room it is today, but I'm feeling like re-telling it today. Sorry wonderbugs, bear with me for a bit, I'll have some new stuff happening soon. I think. Maybe not. Whatever.
This is what the room looked like when we first clapped eyes on it during an open house inspection....
 Brown no? Despite it's brownness, I still fell in love with it's panelled walls and bay windows. It all came together in my mind of how it would look if it were mine.
Being a first home owner though, I had some really wacky ideas about how renovations happened. I mean, you're talking to somebody who had never even painted a wall before! I honestly thought that people who owned their own homes could just do what they wanted to a house when they wanted to. Somehow, I didn't take into account how much having a mortgage would affect our cash flow and I also didn't realise how much work was involved.
After a few months of letting our bruised and battered finances recover from the strains of buying a house and the accompanying move, Husband suggested that we start working from the ground up. Re-flooring. To which I thought, yep, piss it in, no problems.
Can anyone say naive twat?
A layer of carpet, two layers of tiles and whole lot of literal blood, sweat and tears later we could get started on the clean up process, which entailed shovelling four rooms worth of broken tiles into a trailer and taking them to the dump and grinding back the tile glue to clean concrete. Which is hard and time consuming and altogether very sucky work. 
Then the tiling began. Two complete tiling novices who'd taken a crash course on YouTube on how tile a floor. It took five days to finish five rooms, but we did it. And I'm so proud of us for that. 



Once the flooring was all done and dusted it was just a matter of painting the room a lighter colour - we used Fair Bianca full strength on the walls and half strength on the trims - and installing blinds in the windows, adding new curtains, light fittings and pretty much redecorating. 
It's so easy to type those words and it all sounds so effortless, but the fact is that it's a process and it takes a while to get these things done, especially when you have to save the money between projects. 
That's what I know now, that I didn't know then. The naive twat is now a lot wiser, let me tell you ;)


Have you renovated? What do you know now that you didn't know then?

Cas x

p.s. feel free to tell me how much you love our lounge room redo...I really don't mind receiving compliments at all ;)))

Partying at Natasha's today

17 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

huge transformation well done you it looks beautiful XX malys

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger Desire Empire said...

I could never tire of that beautiful room. You sure made a difference.

Carolyn

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger Scandi Coast Home said...

Why are you starting it again when it looks sooooooo beautiful Cas???
What will you be changing?
I have learnt a lot about what not to do that's for sure!!! ;O)
Tania xx

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger Michelle Lisle said...

Hi Cas, first of all so glad you're back like the phoenix you are hehe :) I haven't renovated massive jobs like you guys but I've painted plenty of times and love it each time and I did get all the tiles off my kitchen wall in Perth but had someone retile it for me and it looked amazing, just how I could see it in my minds eye...I love it when a plan comes together....as you know we're renting privately now so we can't really do anything here and I'm still finding that frustrating but hopefully not for too much longer....will keep you posted:)

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger In The Night Sky said...

It sure was very brown, wasn't it? You've done such a great job transforming the room, it's almost unrecognizable! Where do I start with the 'what we didn't know but do now' list...so many things we have done that in hindsight we should have done differently, but you get there in the end :)

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger Domesblissity said...

Just beautiful Cas

xx

 
At Tuesday, February 12, 2013 , Blogger Natasha in Oz said...

I love it to bits!

I wanted to sign up to follow you but not sure where? Are you using google friend connect?

Best wishes,
Natasha

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much Malys
Cas x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Ta Carolyn, that's good because I like taking photos of it :)
Cas x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Nope not starting again, sorry it must have read that way lol! Yes, we've certainly learnt a lot about what not to do too!
C x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

I'll keep fingers crossed for you hon :)
C x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Very brown indeed - every room was like that! Yes, you do get there in the end, don't you, that's the important part :)
C x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much Anne :)
C x

 
At Wednesday, February 13, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Nat :)
C x

 
At Thursday, February 14, 2013 , Blogger CraftyMummy said...

Gorgeous! Love the ladder in the corner - I'd have to use mine for quilts though ;o)

 
At Friday, February 15, 2013 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your room is so restful and beautiful. The wall mirrors are a great focal point. cheers Veronica

 
At Saturday, March 16, 2013 , Blogger Rhonda said...

Great job! What a huge difference! I have lots of before & afters on my blog....I hope you will swing by!

Rhonda :-)
http://ablissfulspirit.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home