This page has moved to a new address.

Guest post from Husband - A glass bowl with some plants in it

Peaches & Maple: Guest post from Husband - A glass bowl with some plants in it

Thursday 18 April 2013

Guest post from Husband - A glass bowl with some plants in it


This is a tera terrarai, something that my darling wife wanted...basically it is a glass bowl with some plants in it. While I have been guilty of not always listening to the things that my wife wants in the past - hey, it's a pretty big list! - sometimes it can be hard to resist her. Picture this:

A little bit loud and opinionated,
very cute,
 wide-eyed and squeaky-voiced
"But I really need one!"




Anyway, it's a good thing that I listen sometimes because recently it was our anniversary and I am pretty dense when it comes to buying gifts. So I listened and heard the word "terrerarium" mentioned quite a bit.

Being the sensitive, understanding man that I am, I pretended I knew exactly what she was on about, went into the other room and Googled it.  A terrarium is a glass bowl with some plants in it.  
This I can do.

This is my thought process:

A Glass bowl with plants in it... Hmmm, I believe a glass bowl recently became available.
Now I just need, rocks, charcoal, dirt and some plants.
I've got rocks on the back driveway, charcoal in the fireplace (shit, I really should have cleaned that out at the end of last winter. Glad I didn't).
What else do I need? Dirt. Well there's plenty of potting mix in the shed.
This is good, I hope she doesn't change her mind by the time it's done.



This is how I made it:
  1. Put the rocks in the bottom of the bowl to create an artificial drainage system
  2. Put a thin layer of charcoal over the top of the rocks to stop mould
  3. Place the potting mix in the bowl over the top of the charcoal and rocks
  4. Realise that you forgot about plants
  5. Go and buy plants - succulents work best I'm told
  6. Plant the plants into the potting mix
  7. Decorate the excess potting mix around the plants (I stole some of the shells from one of Cassie's numerous bowls around the house)
  8. Present gift to wife 
  9. Hope like hell she overlooks one very minor point


that I used a stinky old fish bowl to make it!



Thanks for reading!




8 Comments:

At Thursday, April 18, 2013 , Blogger Meg said...

It looks amazing.....hubby tells me that terrariums are the hottest thing in garden gift shops at the moment and they can't keep up the demand for them(my reply?....." you haven't brought one home yet because?.....)

 
At Thursday, April 18, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great post Mr Peaches & Maple!!!

 
At Thursday, April 18, 2013 , Blogger Allison said...

be careful...all the wives in the street will be wanting one!...it looks great...and who knew you put charcoal in them...not me!
Cass I think you need to start talking out loud about fancy jewels and overseas holidays!! x

 
At Thursday, April 18, 2013 , Blogger In The Night Sky said...

Well done, Mr P & M! Feel frre to make one more and pass it on to me ;)

 
At Thursday, April 18, 2013 , Blogger Unknown said...

Mr P&M - well done at listening to your dearest wife and getting her a gorgeous gift!

 
At Friday, April 19, 2013 , Blogger Paula said...

Excellent post! Well done! I have a stinky ole fish bowl, some rocks and shells and some succulents to plant. Hello Bunnings for charcoal and potting mix tomorrow. :)

 
At Friday, April 19, 2013 , Blogger Desire Empire said...

What a talented husband you are Mr Peaches. I love the addition of the shells and driftwood. Very pleasing on the eye indeed.
Carolyn

 
At Saturday, April 20, 2013 , Blogger Hip Brown said...

Aw how cute and clever your hubby is! Precious handmade gifts are divine.... lucky you, def a keeper he he he xxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home